The Liverpool Signing Choir, winners of the European Diversity Award 2016 (highly commended) are proud to announce the launch of the first ever two-day International inclusive Deaf and Signing Arts Festival taking place in Liverpool in October 2018.
The Festival will be held at one of Liverpool’s prestigious venues, yet to be announced. The International Festival will showcase an array of talent and will include Competitions for deaf artists and inclusive signing choirs from across the world.
The Festival will conclude with a magnificent concert to launch ‘The European Signing Choir’ who will perform together in friendship and harmony.
Founder and Leader of The Liverpool Signing Choir Catherine Hegarty MBE said:
“We are very proud and excited to be hosting a magnificent event in our home city. We have been developing our idea of an International Festival and European Signing Choir for a few years. We have performed at European Festivals and delivered our unique “Hands of Friendship” workshops. We already have interest from Belgium, Serbia, Dublin, Jersey, Scotland and we hope many more deaf and hearing communities will join our exciting project. Since the launch of The Liverpool Signing Choir back in 2008 the City of Liverpool have welcomed TLSC with open arms and we have established ourselves as an integral part of our cities inclusive diverse landscape. It would mean so much to us to be able to repay our City’s faith and support by hosting this unique occasion here.”
Assistant Mayor of Liverpool Cllr Gary Millar says: “Although our friendship goes way back prior to the choir’s amazing and emotional performance at the opening of the 2012 Olympics it is whilst I was Lord Mayor of Liverpool that I proudly witnessed their deserved receipt of the Queens Award for Voluntary Service.
The Liverpool Signing Choir is a positive shining beacon amongst so many in this City. It signals exactly what makes us one of the best cities in the world – diverse, equal, able, gifted, creative and far reaching.
In my eyes they are already global so I look forward to next year’s Deaf Arts Festival (on the 10th Anniversary of what was the ‘best European Capital of Culture ever’) and of course the development of their ambitious European Signing Choir.”
Notes to Editors:
1. The Liverpool Signing Choir is a unique city wide, inclusive, diverse choir based in Liverpool. Its priority is to perform the beauty of sign language through the universal media of music whilst encouraging social inclusion.
2. Choir members come from all walks of life both deaf and hearing and their ages range from 4yrs to 75yrs+.
3. The Liverpool Signing Choir had the honour of performing at the Closing Ceremony of the 2012 Olympic Games and at the Opening Ceremony of the Paralympics.
4. The Choir were honoured with the Queens Award for Voluntary Service in October 2013. This accolade was presented by Dame Lorna Muirhead the Queens Representatiive of Merseyside hosted by Lord Mayor Gary Millar at Liverpool Town Hall.
5. In 2016 they were short-listed for a National Diversity Award and were also presented with a European Diversity Award 2016. For further information, please contact:
Catherine Hegarty MBE by telephone: 0770 278 5323 or e-mail: email@example.com